Sunday, April 24, 2011

Week 3: Books

I have read several books while growing up, but only a few have really influenced me, and got me thinking about several aspects of the work.
Here, listed in the order I read them, are the books which inspired me the most:


This book is an autobiography, and it explains the author's experiences of child abuse while growing up. He describes, in great detail, the various harsh punishments he had to endure when he wouldn't complete a task or a responsibility. Sometimes, he would even face a punishment without anything to warrant it। The first chapter of the book describes how Child Services picks him up from school and takes him away from his abusive mother and spineless father, who would witness the abuse his child went through, disagreed with it, but wouldn't step up to protect his own child. The last sentence of the first chapter is the author writing, "I'm free?" From there, the book proceeds into a flashback of his earlier childhood. The biggest reason I liked this book was no matter what he experienced while growing up, he never gave up. He couldn't go against his mom, but his will power to survive was what inspired me.

2) "False Memory" by Dean Koontz

What I really enjoyed about this book is the amount of imagination the author possesses. It was actually this book which got me into writing. I used to have a blog which I used for creative writing purposes (I deactivated that account due to the amount of spam which I received). For those of you who like reading psychological thrillers, I'd certainly recommend this book to you.

3) "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler

This book, to the surprise of many, has made it to my list. Here's my reason why: Every book I've read in regards to American and World History have always pointed fingers at Nazi Germany for being the evil empire it was. While learning about the World Wars, I always wanted to get a sense as to the Nazi Germany point of view of the war and what their motive was. "Mein Kampf", an autobiography of Adolf Hitler, explains just that.

1 comment:

  1. I get your point about Mein Kampf. It's important to get into the mindset of "the enemy" or we don't really understand what we're up against.

    ReplyDelete